Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday favourite: Q&A

I don't always remember where I buy books (possibly a downfall of buying so many!), but I certainly remember where I read them. At the beginning of 2009, husband and I left London for Cuba. At the same time, journo friend and hubby-to-be left New Zealand for the same destination. We were meeting halfway because journo friend wanted to visit Cuba before Castro carked it! (Well, why wouldn't you!)


Over the years, said journo friend had been the provider of many a good read (she still is) and this one was no exception. Q&A, by Vikas Swarup, had me mesmerised from the first page. Short, sweet chapters, so cleverly written, each a story in itself. Yet, despite each chapter standing alone, this book was definitely a whole - and one that I couldn't put down! As we drove past Cuban villages, lazed on beautiful beaches, walked through Cuban countryside - I had my nose inside this book.

I'd never heard of Q&A before - well at least I didn't think I had. And some of you may feel the same way... but here's the secret. The other name for Q&A is Slumdog Millionaire!


Seen the movie? Loved it? Well the book is 100 times better. Once again, I was left frustrated by the film. I appreciate that to turn a book into a film takes some creative licence, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why this story needed to be changed. It works perfectly as is - and has a MUCH better ending than the film!

2 comments:

  1. This is our bookclub book this month. I was feeling lazy about reading it having seen the movie. Thanks to your post Ann.. I will now get reading. How serendipitis is that. I have to have it read by Thursday. Hugs. JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I enjoyed the movie in a 'that wasn't bad' way, tho I hadn't read the book. I do think movies are NEVER better than the book, tho *sheepish eyes*, I gotta say I was drawn in by Colin Firth as Mr Darcy in the BBC Pride and Prejudice and will have make an exception there ;)

    I just watched The Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson, and although I'd heard so much flak about this movie (in regards to the book) I really enjoyed it. I doubt I'd have wanted to see the book version portrayed on TV in regards to any gruesome matter so perhaps that's why.

    So many movies annoy me. I don't mind where a little tweaking is done, but when they completely change endings riles me up. What was up with My Sisters Keeper!!?? OMG, just CHANGE who dies then. How can they get permission to make such a drastic change to the book?? To keep movie watchers happy that the ending is how they would like? I dunno. That annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete