Monday, June 20, 2011

Musing Mondays

Do you like movies made from books? Which ones do you think have been done well — kept mostly to the plot of the book, etc?
Once upon a time I would have said No! Give me the book any day. There have been some truely awful movies made from books: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, My Sister's Keeper. But lately, I've had a good run of movies made from books. I was really impressed with the adaptation of "Water for Elephants" and "Snow Falling on Cedars" was an absolutely beautiful film (although without having read the book first I'm not sure I would have completely understood what was going on!"). And I'm now hanging out to see "The Help" after loving Kathryn Stockett's book, so all I can say is long may this good thing last!


Musing Mondays is hosted by Should Be Reading
 


7 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about The Help. I've seen My Sister's Keeper, but I haven't read the book--the movie was soooo sad!

    Thanks for visiting my website! http://www.faeryinkpress.com/archives/587

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you about My Sister's Keeper. Really liked the book - not the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the comment! I really liked "My Sister's Keeper" too! That movie is so heartfelt, it makes me cry every single time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally seldom enjoy movies made from books, unless I havn't read the book and the film is well written and directed.
    I remember decades ago, we would read a book and then later hear it was being made into a movie. We all agreed later that the BOOK was better. I suggested seeing the film first and THEN reading the book. I know a picture (even a moving one) tells a thousand words, but that does not compare to the imagination of the human mind.
    Aside, the old radio shows were better than most tv dramas for the same reason, the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read My Sister's Keeper but the movie held my interest. I've heard wonderful things about Snow Falling on Cedars but haven't read or seen it. That should def be on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that I like them more if I haven't *recently* read the book. If I read and then watch too close together, I generally hate the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didnt even remember that there was movie made about My Sister's Keeper! I loved the book and now I just have to just watch the movie. I remember crying on the way to Atlanta. It brought it me to tears.

    ReplyDelete