Saturday, August 20, 2011

Book #56: Anne of Green Gables

How is it that I went 30 years without discovering Anne of Green Gables? This book is an absolute treasure!

It was a nickname I had at school and I still never got around to reading it. Although, Anne and I don't spell our name exactly the same, and she does have very strong views on this matter:

"But if you call me Anne, please call me Anne spelled with an e."

"What difference does it make how it's spelled?" asked Marilla with another rusty smile as she picked up the teapot.

"Oh, it makes such a difference. It looks so much nicer. When you hear a name pronounced can't you always see it in your mind, just as if it was printed out? I ca; and A-N-N looks dreadful, but A-N-N-E looks so much more distinguished."
p30, Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery

I'll admit I picked up this book during the Royal newly-weds tour of Canada earlier this year. As Kate & Will headed to Prince Edward Island so Kate could see the location of her favourite childhood novel, I figured it was about time I read this book. And I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Anne (with an e) was such an entertaining character. The way she talked and talked and talked - it was almost as if you were in the cottage with her! Her imagination, her stories, her love of other people and the rivalry she had with Gilbert Blythe all made this a truly magical story.





5 comments:

  1. I love Anne of Green Gables. I've been meaning to really read this series. For awhile. So glad you discovered this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try to read the sequels. I've read up to Anne's House of Dreams and they were all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Anne. I'm glad you have come to know her. I think everyone should! Now I want to go and read it again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also didn't discover this book until last year. I can't belive I never read it as a child. It's a fantastic book. I love Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne and her stories were such a big part of my childhood. I've read most of the Anne books I think and now I'd like to read more of the non-Anne books that Montgomery wrote, especially her short story collections.

    ReplyDelete